Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow, Snow, Go Away!!

I know this doesn't look like much compared to what a lot of the country has in the way of snow but it is sure a lot for this part of NC. It is cold and windy and just plain yucky. This county is not prepared to deal with any kind of snow, the schools were closed, the Marine base was closed and as the day went on lots of businesses shut down also. There were accidents galore, mostly because people in the South are not accustomed to driving on slick snow and ice covered roads. My son-in-law was involved in one of those accidents. He was on his way to Virginia for four months of training. A small truck lost control on a patch of ice and slammed into his huge truck. Brandon hit the other truck on the passenger side, his front tire ending up in the passenger seat. Thank God there was not anyone in that seat. Brandon is fine but the other driver is not. He was able to stand when the EMS got him out of the truck but appeared to have severe injuries. The least of all of it is that Brandon's truck is most likely a total loss. I am just so thankful that he was not hurt and I hope the other person fully recovers from his injuries. What a day!!
This is where I will be tonight. Counting my blessings and hoping the snow will be gone by tomorrow.
Carol

4 comments:

Alettesiriane said...

So glad your family member is ok.To drive on icy roads needs practice.I must say I smiled a bit of your picture of snow.But again for years back I was with my 6 year old daughter in Charleston visiting .She came running ,afraid "look water comming out of my arm!Whats wrong! " She had never had a sweat befor.We sure have different climates lol

Mimi said...

Well, as you can imagine, we have a whole lot more snow here in MI, but your cozy fireplace sure looks welcoming. I hope all is well with everyone involved in that accident and am sure glad your family is ok.

carol said...

Thanks you guys!! I am still so unsettled I can't seem to concentrate on anything.

It is funny how we take our climates for granted and when they stray off course it's amazing what havoc is created.

Julie said...

This was a lucky day that no one was killed in your son's accident. I know, unlucky too in that it had to happen at all.
We have it super cold here but no snow so we still have to go to school!